To make sure that the hat ends up fitting correctly, always do the following:
- Knit a tension square using the yarn and needles that you will be using, and measure the number of stitches and rows to make a 10cm / 4″ square, and enter these numbers in the Settings.
- Measure around the head of the person that the hat needs to fit. Note that the app is designed to make a hat that has negative ease – in other words it is designed to make a hat slightly smaller than the head. This is normal for knitted hats, as it makes sure that the hat fits snugly and does not quickly become sloppy.
- Measure the length of the hat that you want – if you’re not sure how long you would like, measure another knitted hat as a guide. For a slouchy hat choose a longer length.
- Rib Length – the app allows you to choose styles with and without a fold-up rib. If you choose a style with a fold-up rib, the instructions will tell you to knit a rib twice as long as the rib length that you choose, so that it is the correct length when folded in half. Take this into account when entering your measurements.
- Stitch Options. Choose the stitch pattern for the rib.
- Main Hat stitch options, choose a stitch pattern for the main body of the hat.
Tips and Ideas
- Knit your hat in one colour, or stripes – it’s up to you!
- Use up yarn left over from another project to knit a hat!
- If you don’t have enough yarn to knit a hat, consider combining it with another yarn that knits to the same tension – knit in regular or random stripes of whatever width you choose, or knit the rib in a contrasting colour.
- Knit 2 strands of 4 ply or DK yarn together to make a chunkier knit – remember to check the tension first!
- More experienced knitters can use this pattern to knit hats with cables or other stitch patterns – if you do this, make sure to set the cables or pattern so that it can be fitted in with the crown shaping, and check the tension with the stitch pattern that you will be using.
- More tips and ideas coming soon!
I will be updating the app with more features in the future, if there is something you would like to see, please let me know!